D-Day June 6, 1944 Assualt of Omaha Beach, 116th in Higgins Boat (Infantry Landing Craft).
116th BCT Global War on Terror Exhibit 2001 – 2012
The Augusta County Militia contributed units and individuals to fight in the American Revolution. This exhibit honors their service and the fact these individuals helped form the Continenial Line, today known as the Active Army. The 116th Infantry Regiment is the 7th oldest continously serving military orgainization in the United States Army. 1741 – to Present. The uniform and Brown Bess Musket are authentic reproductions. The .58 Cal Flint Lock Pistol reproduction is an example of that type of fire arm.
WWII D-Day Exhibit Case – Omaha Beach
WWI SSG Knapp and BG H.L. Opie Exhibit Case
The 29th Infantry Division’s Unit Patch and the 116th Infantry Regiment’s Battles Streamers, which document 273 years of continuious Military Service to America
D-Day Soldier Art, Artist(s) unknown. Painted on brown paper, shortly after D-Day in 1944 and presented to the 116th Regimental Commander. Passed to following commanders until brought home by, later MG Sproul, who presented it to the Regimental Foundation after the conclusion of World War II. Requires immediate preservation and restoration. Donations appricated.
The Major of St. Lo, Thomas Dry Howie Exhibit
Interactive computer based history of the Stonewall Jackson Brigade’s actions during the American Civil War.
The “Major of St. Lo”, Major Thomas D. Howie Commemorative Painting shows the 3rd 116th Infantry Battalion starting the attack on St. Lo, as Howie is fatally wounded by enemy Mortar fire accurately captured in this painting.
The sword of Lt Williams, 5th Virginia Infantry, Stonewall Brigade, killed in action during the Battle of Cold Harbor, 1863. Behind the sword is a news article about the Stonewall Jackson Brigade Band. The Regiment still includes a band today. On the shelf below is a Gold inlayed Bowl presented on April 20th 1860 to the Monticello Guard, part of the Stonewall Brigade, for defending the Valley from Northern Aggression. Below is a Dragoon Cavalry Pistol carried by both Infantry and Calvary Soldiers.
The General Thomas Jonathan Jackson Exhibit includes the General’s Staff, a Map of his Valley Campaign, Exhibit Case, and interactive computer based history of the Stonewall Jackson Brigade’s action during the American Civil War.
An Infantryman in the American Civil War Stonewall Jackson Brigade 1860-65, Jackson’s Foot Cavalry, often marched 20-30 miles a day, a distance usually associated with mounted Calvary Units of the Era.
The Stonewall Brigade also included Artillery and Calvary organizations. These are authentic reproductions of the uniforms worn. The Red uniform piping was for Artillery and Black for Calvary Officers.
Certificate presented to PVT Charles A Desper for his Serive and Wounds in World War I 1917-1919, signed by President Wodrow Wilson in 1919.
This Orginal Document is the 116th Infantry’s unit History Reprot for “D-Day” dated December 1944
This is the story of how the 116th Infantry Regiment (formed from the 2d, 4th, 1-70th Virginia Regiments) became part of the 29th Infantry Division on Federal Active Duty in 1917 at the start of World War 1. The plaster frame painted gold is original.
116th Infantry Regiment World War II Equipment, Canteen, US Cal ,45 Automatic Pistol, Cartridge Belt, Entrenching Tool (shovel), Pack, Helmet, Eating Utensils, C-Ration Cigarettes, Calvados Wine, and an Ammo Box.
The D-Day Exhibit. Original Operation Order for D-Day, 29th Division US Hemet recovered in 2013 from Omaha Beach and returned to the 116th Regiment by a French Family. A model of Higgins Boat Landing Craft used during the D-Day Landings. Photographs, and Original Canteen with Solder Art etched into the medal of what he saw on D-Day on Omaha Beach.
Civil War 1848 .58 Cal Musket. This weapon was converted from a Flint Lock to a Percussion Cap fired musket at the Harpers Ferry, VA U.S. Arsenal sometime before 1860.
116th Infantry Regiment World War II Captured Nazi Flag, Weapons, and Equipment
On this page are a few sample exhibits on display in Verona, VA. We are open Monday through Saturday 10:00am till 5:00pm. Please stop by 566 Lee Highway and see us. For special group tours call Museum Phone 540-248-0116. Two weeks notice is preferred.